7 mar 2019

Working with EDPUZZLE

Firstly, I tried to focus the EDPUZZLE activity on current affairs…. 
So, given the significant coverage the women’s general strike was achieving I decided to work with a video about the Suffragettes.
The downside was the lenght of the video, so I had to cut it short –it takes around 4 minutes now.
The activity was planned for a high-intermediate- level group of 2º Bachillerato.
My learning objectives of this task were:

  •         To give a greater degree of autonomy to students,
  •       To Match very simple definitions to vocabulary words from familiar themes
  •     To Recognize the main ideas and details from a listening.
  •       To introduce students to the suffragette movement and their political motivation,
  •       To become aware of gender inequality and the progress achieved during the last couple of centuries.

In order to achieve the aforementioned objectives, the students had to watch this video at home –as many times as necessary- and answer the 10 embedded questions. As you have already imagined, I was expecting to implement the flipped classroom method. The due date was 2 days after the presentation of the activity in the class. 

•   What methods do you think were most effective in the Suffragette campaign?
•     Do you think the Suffragettes have had more success if they had used less extreme measures?
•     What methods do you think the Suffragettes would have used if they had been active today?
Once this session finished, I shared the link to the video with my students. As I’ve said before, they had 2 days to hand in their homework.All in all, I am pretty pleased with the results. My students seemed very motivated, they both enjoyed the topic of the activity and the new tool.


 So I guess I’ll create a similar activity pretty soon. 


LINK TO THE VIDEO



3 comentarios:

  1. Hello Esther!
    My name is MMar and I'm a student in the course "Innovative teaching practices supported by the focused use of ICT tools in the language classroom" too. I have been reading and browsing your blog and I found it an incredible and very complete net of additional resources which could be used in our classes. What it's more, it is well organized by levels and the clear presentation makes it relatively user-friendly for visitors(students, teachers or any learner).
    I have also noticed you have honest communication with your students, and although they post you messages in Spanish, you write them back in English; a good way to make them read and try to use the language they are learning. Your blog is a good starting point for preparing activities using different innovative tools.
    Maybe, If I had to say something in order to improve your blog, it would be related to the use of images and the format, where you could have more impact over the public. By this way, your blog would be more attractive (you could add bullets or change the text size or the source of the font).
    Thanks for your blog. I’m sure I will use your posts further ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Absolutely loved it!! I think that linking our tasks to what is happening in the current society is fundamental to achieve motivation in our students. Even more when you link their interests with the new technologies!!! Yet, I think that maybe you should include some images of your work so it may be a bit more illustrating!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar